Training for more Effective use of Email
Using email effectively can save you valuable time and be a very efficient means of communication. Many times however, email as a communication tool, is overused or misused and unfortunately, this is having an increasingly negative effect on people and their productivity within organisations.
Using Email Effectively is a short and punchy training program designed to help organisations develop an email culture so that effective email communication is the norm. Unfortunately, many organisations are drowning in a sea of ineffective email communication, in part, because people simply don’t understand how to use email properly.
Consider the following:
- Too often, an email is sent when a simple phone call or a personal visit might have sufficed.
- Or an email is sent with very unclear or confusing subject lines.
- Or perhaps people are overusing CC (Carbon Copy) or even the Reply All functions.
The result? Poor communication, lack of clarity or even diluted accountability for actions and of course, over-crowded In-boxes everywhere!
Training to help staff in more effective use of email can help your organisation or team reduce its reliance on email as communication tool. And staff can learn valuable tips for writing more effective emails that get the desired response more often.
- Comprehensive Training Manual
- 4 Weeks of Email Coaching/Follow Up
Using Email Effectively – Program Outline
When to Email and when not to Email
To send or not to send, that is the question. In fact it is the first question you should ask. Developing some understanding as to when and when not to use email is the first step to beginning to change the culture in your organisation. We explore when email is the right communication tool to use and when are other options might be more effective?
Writing More Effective Emails
Once you decide to send an email, then you want to be concerned about:
- Brevity – when writing your email
- Email writing format
- Writing emails with the end in mind
- Writing effective Subject Headings
- Email Subject Heading Prefixes
- When to CC or BCC
- Sending Attachments with emails
- STOP – before you send your email
- And more…
Responding to Emails
- Responding timely to emails
- Replying when angry
- Managing expectations of others with email
Using Some MS Outlook Tools
MS Outlook has some features that can help you send and write more effective emails.
- Spell Checking your email
- Read and Delivery Receipts
- Send Options you have with emails
This program has been especially designed to run In-house for organisations who:
- Want to see a change in their culture around how email is actually used
- Wish to reduce the amount of email traffic within their organisations
- Wish to see staff communicate more effectively when using email
- Are looking to see increased productivity and reliability around how emails are used
Contact us to discuss this program in more detail. Call 02 6056 8887 or email Geoff Prior
We can run our Using Email Effectively training in Albury Wodonga, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth but can travel anywhere within Australia and New Zealand.